PubMed: My NCBI
A My NCBI account enables you to save citations and searches permanently, and to personalize PubMed (and other NCBI databases) to better manage your search results.
- Collections: Use the Send to drop down menu in PubMed to save citations to a My NCBI collection that you can return to later, download, email, or share with colleagues. Note: Place a check in the box next to any citations that you want to save. Otherwise, My NCBI will save all the results of your search, up to 5,000 citations.
- Create Alert: To save your search strategy or rerun a search in the future (to keep up with new articles on your research topic, for example), click the Create Alert link below the PubMed query box on the search results page. Use the Saved Search Settings to have PubMed email you new results of your search daily, weekly or monthly.
- Filters: Customize PubMed search results pages with Filters that you use often. You can create custom search filters that, for example, allow you to identify articles from a specific institution or in one or more journals.
- My NCBI preferences includes storing and changing your e-mail address, highlighting search terms, opening the abstract display supplemental data by default, and turning off the auto suggest feature.
- Maintain your publications list using My Bibliography for use in grant applications and progress reports.
Creating an Account
Click Log in at the top right of PubMed's homepage to sign into NCBI.
You will need to create or use an existing third party login to access NCBI. Choose an option on the login page to use an existing account, or sign up with a new account by clicking "Sign Up" on the bottom of the page.
By selecting "more login options", you can also login via the Icahn School of Medicine single sign on.
Note: This option is only available for ISMMS users with Icahn Google Suite accounts.
Alternatively, if you don't have an existing third party account, you can sign up for a Login.gov account which allows you to login securely across several government agency websites.
Select "Create an Account" to create a Login.gov account to access My NCBI.
Once you login with the new federated login option for MyNCBI, even if you used the A-Z database PubMed link, you will need to set your preferences to include the Mount Sinai OpenURL / Outside Tool in order to see the blue "Find it at the Library" button on individual citations.
To do this:
- Click on your account name at the top right corner of the homepage and select "Account settings
- Scroll down until you see NCBI Site Preferences and then "Click here to access the NSBI Site Preferences page"
- Under PubMed Preferences click the "Outside Tool" link
- Check the box for Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, Levy Library LINKER
You do not need to ‘Save’ on this page, you can simply navigate away from the page and back to PubMed for searching. You should then see the blue Levy Library icon on individual citations.
If you have any trouble, please clear your cache/history/browser, close out the browser and all windows entirely, and then restart the browser with a fresh session.