Levy Library Policies: Licensing and Copyright
Licensing and Copyright Policies
All library users are expected to abide by our Licensing and Copyright policies. Please be aware that violation of these policies may lead to loss of access to the Mount Sinai network.
Almost all of the electronic books, journals and databases that Levy Library makes available have restrictions on use and access that are specified in the licensing agreements signed by the Library and the respective publishers and vendors. Licenses vary from resource to resource but, in general, the following terms apply:
- Access is restricted to faculty, students, staff, employees and other authorized users.
- Sharing of login credentials (i.e., username and passwords) to access library resources is prohibited.
- Users of these resources will abide by existing copyright legislation including fair use and library use.
- Systematic and/or substantial downloading or reproduction of content is prohibited (see more detail below).
- Altering, abridging, adapting, or modifying the licensed materials without permission is prohibited.
- Resources may not be used for commercial purposes, such as bulk reproduction or distribution.
- Under rare circumstances special requests for access to library resources may be granted. Only the Levy Library Chief Director and/or Deputy Directors may approve special requests. Contact email@example.com for additional information.
- If a licensing agreement is violated, the publisher may terminate the Mount Sinai community's access to the resources covered by that license.
The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or otherwise reproducing copyrighted material. All users of Levy Library resources must respect the copyrights of the works in its electronic, print or audiovisual collections. No copyrighted work may be copied, published, disseminated, displayed, performed or played without permission of the copyright holder except in accordance with fair use or licensed agreement.
Levy Library users are individually responsible for compliance with these terms. Please be aware that violation of license or copyright restrictions may lead to loss of access to the Mount Sinai network. Additionally, copyright infringement can lead to civil and criminal penalties, including fines and imprisonment.
Please Ask a Librarian If you have a question about copyright or licensing restrictions or this policy.