ISMMS Writing Support Service: Home
ISMMS Writing Support Service
Carefully review the information on this page. Once you have done so, select the button below to schedule your appointment.
The ISMMS Writing Support Service provides students, housestaff, and postdocs with 1:1 consultations from an experienced science writer and editor in a collaborative, non-judgmental, and confidential setting. The service is designed to help you improve your writing skills, specifically to:
- Help trainees improve the flow, structure, and style of their writing
- Point out weak/unsupported arguments and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Identify confusing/unclear sections of submissions and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Ensure that writing style is appropriate for the writer's audience
The Writing Support Consultants are available to help with the following types of documents at any stage of the writing process:
- Course assignments
- Personal statements and other application-related documents
- Manuscripts intended for journal publication
- Grant/funding applications
- Dissertations and theses
Eligibility and Policies
Writing support services are available exclusively to current, matriculated Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and fellows as well as Phillips School of Nursing students.
Appointment Scheduling, Duration and Cancellation Policy
- Appointments must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of the desired appointment time.
- ISMMS students, residents/fellows, and postdocs as well as PSON students are eligible to schedule and appointment with the Writing Support Consultant.
- The Writing Consultants are not available to review documents independently/outside of appointment times.
- Writers are allowed a maximum of four appointments per semester.
- Consultations last 45 minutes.
- If you cannot attend a scheduled appointment, it is your responsibility to cancel it. Please cancel as soon as you know--at least 24 hours notice is required to avoid the Library being charged for the consultant's time.
Preparing for a Successful Appointment
To get the most out of your appointment, please be sure to:
- Send the document to the consultant in advance or have it ready for screen sharing.
- Think critically about what you hope to accomplish during the appointment and generate a list of specific things you need help with, for example:
- Organization: How to organize the sections of your paper
- Clarity: How to make your writing flow better and easier for the reader to understand
- Citations: Understanding when a citation is needed and where to insert it
It is important to understand that the Writing Support Service is not:
- A proofreading or copyediting service
- A grammar-checking service
- A ghostwriting service