ISMMS Writing Support Service: Home
The ISMMS Writing Support Service is Currently Being Held Virtually
We are implementing a virtual service model for the time being. Please refer to our hours below when requesting an appointment:
ISMMS Student, Resident/Fellow & Postdoc Hours
Tuesday mornings, 8:00am - 11:00am
Thursday mornings, 9:00am - 12:00pm
PSoN Student Hours
Friday mornings, 9:00am - 12:00pm
Meet Our Writing Consultant!
Dr. Michaela Panter is a biomedical editor with over 10 years of experience and was previously a writing consultant at Columbia and Yale. She has worked with writers ranging from graduate students to faculty on maximizing the clarity of research articles and case reports, grant applications, and other scientific writing. Dr. Panter earned her Ph.D. in immunobiology and an M.S. in biomedical engineering from Yale.
Request an Appointment
Please carefully review the information on this page. Once you have done so, click on the button below to schedule your appointment.
Is there a cost for this service?
The service is free. Appointments are available at no charge, but please note the cancellation policy which indicates: "There is a $50 charge for appointments not canceled 24 hours prior to the appointment time."
The ISMMS Writing Support Service provides students, housestaff, and postdocs with 1:1 consultations from an experienced science writer and editor in a collaborative, non-judgmental, and confidential setting. The service is designed to help you improve your writing skills, specifically to:
- Help trainees improve the flow, structure, and style of their writing
- Point out weak/unsupported arguments and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Identify confusing/unclear sections of submissions and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Ensure that writing style is appropriate for the writer's audience
The Writing Support Consultant is available to help with the following types of documents at any stage of the writing process:
- Course assignments
- Personal statements and other application-related documents
- Manuscripts intended for journal publication
- Grant/funding applications
- Dissertations and theses
Preparing for a Successful Appointment
To get the most out of your appointment, please be sure to:
- Bring two printed copies of your document, one for you and one for the consultant. For virtual appointments, send the document to the consultant in advance or have it ready for screen sharing.
- Think critically about what you hope to accomplish during the appointment and generate a list of specific things you need help with, for example:
- Organization: How to organize the sections of your paper
- Clarity: How to make your writing flow better and easier for the reader to understand
- Citations: Understanding when a citation is needed and where to insert it
It is important to understand that the Writing Support Service is not:
- A proofreading or copyediting service
- A grammar-checking service
- A ghostwriting service
Eligibility and Policies
Writing support services are available exclusively to current, matriculated Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and fellows as well as Phillips School of Nursing students.
Appointment Scheduling, Duration and Cancellation Policy
- Appointments must be requested 48 hours in advance of the desired appointment time.
- For ISMMS students, residents/fellows, and postdocs, virtual appointments are available only on Tuesday mornings between 8:00am - 11:00am or Thursday mornings between 9:00am - 12:00pm.
- For PSoN students, virtual appointments are available on Friday morning between 9:00am - 12:00pm.
- The Writing Consultant is not available to review documents independently/outside of appointment times.
- Writers are allowed a maximum of three appointments per semester.
- Consultations last 45 minutes.
- If you cannot attend a scheduled appointment, it is your responsibility to cancel it. There is a $50 charge for appointments not canceled 24 hours prior to the appointment time.