ISMMS Writing Support Service: Home
ISMMS Writing Support Service to Be Held Virtually
We will be implementing a virtual service model for the time being. Please check back in late April for information on whether in-person consultations will resume in May.
Please refer to our new hours below when requesting an appointment:
Tuesday mornings, 8:00am - 11:00am
Thursday mornings, 9:00am - 12:00pm
Meet Our Writing Consultant!
Dr. Michaela Panter is a biomedical editor with over 10 years of experience and was previously a writing consultant at Columbia and Yale. She has worked with writers ranging from graduate students to faculty on maximizing the clarity of research articles and case reports, grant applications, and other scientific writing. Dr. Panter earned her Ph.D. in immunobiology and an M.S. in biomedical engineering from Yale.
Request an Appointment
Please carefully review the information on this page. Once you have done so, click on the button below to schedule your appointment.
Is there a cost for this service?
The service is free. Appointments are available at no charge, however please note that the cancelation policy which indicates, "There is a $50 charge for appointments not canceled 24 hours prior to the appointment time."
The ISMMS Writing Support Service provides students, housestaff, and postdocs with 1:1 consultations from an experienced science writer and editor in a collaborative, non-judgmental, and confidential setting. The service is designed to help you improve your writing skills, specifically:
- To help trainees improve the flow, structure and style of their writing
- Point out weak/unsupported arguments and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Identify confusing/unclear sections of submissions and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Ensure that writing style is appropriate for the writer's audience
The Writing Support Consultant is available to help with the following types of documents:
- Course assignments
- Personal statements and other application-related documents
- Manuscripts intended for journal publication
- Grant/funding applications
- Dissertations and theses
Preparing for a Successful Appointment
To get the most out of your appointment, please be sure to:
- Bring two printed copies of your document, one for you and one for the consultant. For virtual appointments, send the document to the consultant in advance or have it ready for screen sharing.
- Think critically about what you hope to accomplish during the appointment and generate a list of specific things you need help with, for example:
- Organization: How to organize the sections of your paper
- Clarity: How to make your writing flow better and easier for the reader to understand
- Citations: Understanding when a citation is needed and how/where to insert it
It is important to understand that the Writing Support Service is not:
- A proofreading or copyediting service
- A ghostwriting service
- An English as a second language (ESL) service
Writing support services are available exclusively to current, matriculated Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and fellows.
Appointment Scheduling, Duration and Cancelation Policy
- Appointments must be requested 48 hours in advance of the desired appointment time.
- In-person appointments are available on Tuesday mornings between 8:00 - 11:00am.
- Virtual appointments are available on Thursday mornings between 9:00am - 12:00pm.
- Writers are allowed a maximum of three appointments per semester.
- Consultations last 45 minutes.
- If you cannot attend a scheduled appointment, it is your responsibility to cancel it. There is a $50 charge for appointments not canceled 24 hours prior to the appointment time.