ISMMS Writing Support Services: Home
Need help with writing?
Request an Appointment
Please carefully review the information on this page. Once you have done so, click on the button below to schedule your appointment.
Is there a cost for this service?
The service is free. Appointments are available at no charge, however please note that the cancelation policy which indicates, "There is a $50 charge for appointments not canceled 24 hours prior to the appointment time."
We are excited to launch a new writing support service for the ISMMS community. Beginning in September 2018, students, housestaff and postdocs will be able to receive 1:1 tutoring from an experienced science writer and editor. The service is designed to help you improve your writing skills, specifically:
- To help trainees improve the flow, structure and style of their writing
- Point out weak/unsupported arguments and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
- Identify confusing/unclear sections of submissions and offer suggestions for how they can be improved
The Writing Support Tutor is available to help with the following types of documents:
- Course assignments
- Personal statements and other application-related documents
- Manuscripts submitted for publication
Preparing for a Successful Appointment
To get the most out of your appointment, please be sure to:
- Bring two printed copies of your document, one for you and one for the tutor.
- Think critically about what you hope to accomplish during the appointment and generate a list of specific things you need help with, for example:
- Organization: How to organize the sections of your paper
- Clarity: How to make your writing flow better and easier for the reader to understand
- Citations: Understanding when a citation is needed and how/where to insert it
It is important to understand that the Writing Support Service is not:
A proofreading or copyediting service
A ghostwriting service
An English as a second language (ESL) service
Writing support services are available exclusively to current, matriculated Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and fellows.
Appointment Scheduling, Duration and Cancelation Policy
- Appointments must be requested 48 hours in advance of the desired appointment time.
- In person appointments are available on Tuesday afternoons between 1:00 - 4:00pm. Virtual appointments can be requested Monday - Friday.
- Users are allowed a maximum of three appointments per semester.
- Tutoring appointments last 45-60 minutes.
- If you cannot attend a scheduled appointment, it is your responsibility to cancel it. There is a $50 charge for appointments not canceled 24 hours prior to the appointment time.