Special Topics: Wellness and Mindfulness
These special topics books are all available to check out at the Levy Library.
Wellness and Mindfullness
View the entire Wellness and Mindfulness Collection in Research Discovery.
- Stretch byCall Number: BF 411 S66 2017ISBN: 9780062457226Publication Date: 2017-02-07A Wall Street Journal Bestseller A groundbreaking approach to succeeding in business and life, using the science of resourcefulness. We often think the key to success and satisfaction is to get more: more money, time, and possessions; bigger budgets, job titles, and teams; and additional resources for our professional and personal goals. It turns out we're wrong. Using captivating stories to illustrate research in psychology and management, Rice University professor Scott Sonenshein examines why some people and organizations succeed with so little, while others fail with so much. People and organizations approach resources in two different ways: "chasing" and "stretching." When chasing, we exhaust ourselves in the pursuit of more. When stretching, we embrace the resources we already have. This frees us to find creative and productive ways to solve problems, innovate, and engage our work and lives more fully. Stretch shows why everyone--from executives to entrepreneurs, professionals to parents, athletes to artists--performs better with constraints; why seeking too many resources undermines our work and well-being; and why even those with a lot benefit from making the most out of a little. Drawing from examples in business, education, sports, medicine, and history, Scott Sonenshein advocates a powerful framework of resourcefulness that allows anybody to work and live better.
- Emotional Intelligence byCall Number: BF 576 G65 2006ISBN: 9780553383713Publication Date: 2005-09-27Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"--the rational and the emotional--and how they together shape our destiny. Through vivid examples, Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart. The best news is that "emotional literacy" is not fixed early in life. Every parent, every teacher, every business leader, and everyone interested in a more civil society, has a stake in this compelling vision of human possibility. Praise for Emotional Intelligence "A thoughtfully written, persuasive account explaining emotional intelligence and why it can be crucial to your career."--USA Today "Good news to the employee looking for advancement [and] a wake-up call to organizations and corporations."--The Christian Science Monitor "Anyone interested in leadership . . . should get a copy of this book. In fact, I recommend it to all readers anywhere who want to see their organizations in the phone book in the year 2001."--Warren Bennis, The New York Times Book Review
- How to Be Nice to Yourself byCall Number: BF 575.S37 S55 2019ISBN: 1641522615Publication Date: 2019-06-25Practice deep self compassion with a wide range of strategies. Today's the day to start loving yourself. How to Be Nice to Yourself makes it simple to start practicing self compassion with a wide variety of techniques and strategies that anyone can learn. Filled with easy-to-use advice drawn from a variety of sources--including meditation, mindfulness, and acceptance and commitment therapy--this book will help you find the right way to start feeling good about yourself. How to Be Nice to Yourself: The Everyday Guide to Self Compassion includes: Proven Strategies--Learn a variety of ways to practice self compassion daily--with meditations, writing exercises, and more. Practical Advice--Bring self compassion to your thoughts, emotions, and actions with exercises that can easily be applied to your daily life. Personalized Approach--Customize your self compassion practice with a personalized plan based on what matters to you and the kind of changes you want to see. Start loving yourself with the techniques that work best for you. You'll discover them in How to be Nice to Yourself: The Everyday Guide to Self Compassion.
- The Mindful Day byCall Number: BF 637.S4 C36 2018ISBN: 9781426218361Publication Date: 2018-03-27For overscheduled professionals looking to incorporate mindfulness into their daily lives, this bestselling, step-by-step guide draws on contemplative traditions, modern neuroscience, and leading psychology to bring peace and focus to the home, in the workplace, and beyond. Designed for busy professionals looking to integrate mindfulness into their daily lives, this ultimate guide draws on contemplative practice, modern neuroscience, and positive psychology to bring peace and focus to the home, in the workplace, and beyond. In this enriching book, noted mindfulness expert and international teacher and business leader Laurie J. Cameron - a veteran of the Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute, a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Advancement of Well-Being at George Mason, and 20-year mindfulness meditation practitioner- shows how to seamlessly weave mindfulness and compassion practices into your life. Timeless teachings, compelling science and straightforward exercises designed for busy schedules -- from waking up to joy, the morning commute, to back-to-back meetings and evening dinners - show how mindfulness practice can help you navigate life's complexity with mastery, clarity and ease. Cameron's practical wisdom and concrete how-to steps will help you make the most of the present moment, creating a roadmap for inner peace - and a life of deeper purpose and joy.
- Search Inside Yourself byCall Number: BF 576 T36 2014ISBN: 9780062116925Publication Date: 2012-04-24With Search Inside Yourself, Chade-Meng Tan, one of Google's earliest engineers and personal growth pioneer, offers a proven method for enhancing mindfulness and emotional intelligence in life and work. Meng's job is to teach Google's best and brightest how to apply mindfulness techniques in the office and beyond; now, readers everywhere can get insider access to one of the most sought after classes in the country, a course in health, happiness and creativity that is improving the livelihood and productivity of those responsible for one of the most successful businesses in the world. With forewords by Daniel Goleman, author of the international bestseller Emotional Intelligence, and Jon Kabat-Zinn, renowned mindfulness expert and author of Coming To Our Senses, Meng's Search Inside Yourself is an invaluable guide to achieving your own best potential.
- Be Mindful and Stress Less byCall Number: BF 724.3.S86 B538 2018ISBN: 9781611804942Publication Date: 2018-02-06This accessible, user-friendly toolbox for teens introduces them to mindfulness practice and shows them how it can ease their fears and anxieties, reduce their impulsivity, help them develop a more measured response to the stressors around them, and build strong relationships. In fifty very short activity "chapters," mindfulness teacher and family therapist Gina Biegel offers meditations, breathing and thought exercises, and stress-reducing solutions that can be done as an ongoing practice or in the moment. The book is divided into three parts. Part One introduces mindfulness and builds an understanding and foundation for going forward. It invites the reader to begin to integrate mindfulness into their life in quick and easy ways. Part Two offers activities for teens to build mindful relationships with themselves and with others. This section focuses on compassion, acceptance, respect, and self-esteem--qualities that are tremendously important for teens to learn as early as possible. Planting these seeds will allow teens to flourish and build more balanced relationships. Part Three includes activities that focus on the cognitive aspect of mindfulness. Teens learn how to use mindfulness to manage difficulties they have in thinking (judgments, negative coping) and reactivity. Self-regulation is an important skill for teens to learn, and mindfulness is a first step to responding consciously rather than reacting automatically.
- One Second Ahead byCall Number: BF 632 H69 2016ISBN: 9781137551924Publication Date: 2016-02-16Researchers have found that the accelerated pace of modern office life is taking its toll on productivity, employee engagement, creativity and well-being. Faced with a relentless flood of information and distractions, our brains try to process everything at once increasing our stress, decreasing our effectiveness and negatively impacting our performance. Ironically, we have become too overworked, unfocused, and busy to stop and ask ourselves the most important question: What can we do to break the cycle of being constantly under pressure, always-on, overloaded with information and in environments filled with distractions? Do we need to accept this as the new workplace reality and continue to survive rather than thrive in modern day work environments? Thankfully, the answer is no. In their new book, ONE SECOND AHEAD: Enhance Your Performance at Work with Mindfulness (Palgrave Macmillan; November 2015), Rasmus Hougaard, Jacqueline Carter, and Gillian Coutts demonstrate that it is possible to train the brain to respond differently to today's constant pressures and distraction. All it takes is one second. They propose that we need to learn to work differently so we are more focused, calm and have less clutter in our mind so we can better manage our time and attention. What if we could hit the 'pause' button on our day, step back, and meet challenges with a sense of clarity and purpose? And what if there was a way not just of 'getting things done,' but ensuring that what does get done are the right things to do? Based on a program in corporate mindfulness designed by Hougaard and the partners of The Potential Project, One Second Ahead provides practical tools and techniques as well as real-world examples and lessons from organizations that have implemented mindfulness on a large scale. Thoroughly tested in a diverse range of industries, this program has resulted in measurable increases in productivity, effectiveness, and job satisfaction. With the new mindset proposed in One Second Ahead, readers will be able to put an end to ineffective multitasking, unproductive meetings, poor communication, and other unhealthy workplace behaviors by applying mindfulness to every day work life. All too often, we think that being mindful requires engaging in a special activity like meditation or yoga. Sure, these activities are beneficial and important to train the mind, but there are many simple things we can do to be mindful all day long. One Second Ahead is a handbook for more mindful work that offers: Practical, easy to apply, tools and techniques to enhance performance and effectiveness in day to day work activities such as meetings, emails, communication, planning, creativity and more Real-world stories of how mindfulness changed the workdays of leaders and front line employees Tips for cultivating mental strategies and routines that can reduce clutter, increase focus, and rewire your brain to enhance presence, patience, kindness and other valuable mind states Simple yet detailed step-by-step instructions for a more systematic approach to mindfulness training to enhance focus and awareness Guidelines for a 10-minute-per-day mindfulness program that can reshape your life both at work and at home; A reproducible planning worksheet and further resources in the Appendix. One Second Ahead can transform daily work life by helping individuals and teams realize more of their potential through greater focus and awareness. The tools and techniques in this book can transform individual and organizational performance one mind at a time.
- The Art of Stopping Time byCall Number: BF 637.T5 S56 2017ISBN: 9781623369095Publication Date: 2017-10-24Easy-to-follow mindfulness exercises you can do every day to fundamentally transform your relationship with time. We're all struggling to find time in our lives, but somehow there's never enough to go around. We're too tired to think, too wired to focus, less efficient than we want to be, and guilty about not getting enough time with our loved ones. We all know that we feel starved for time, but what are we actually doing about it? Precious little. In The Art of Stopping Time, New York Times bestselling author Pedram Shojai guides us towards success with what he calls Time Prosperity--having the time to accomplish what you want in life without feeling compressed, stressed, overburdened, or hurried. So how do we achieve this Time Prosperity? We learn to Stop Time. To do that, Shojai walks us though a 100-day Gong, which is based on the Chinese practice of designating an amount of time each day to perform a specific task. The ritual helps you become mindful, train your mind, instill new habits, and fundamentally transform your relationship with time. We can find moments of mental awareness while in the shower, eating a snack, listening to podcasts, and even while binge-watching our favorite TV shows. He shares how to use Gongs to reprogram your habits, reduce stress, increase energy, exercise the ancient practice of mindfulness, and become a master of your time. Whether you do one per day, a bunch at a time, or read the whole book in one sitting, practicing the Gongs is a dedicated act of self-love that snaps us out of our daily trance and brings the light of awareness to our consciousness. The more we practice, the more we wake up, and the better off we are.
- Stress Less, Accomplish More byCall Number: BF 637.M4 F54 2019ISBN: 9780062747501Publication Date: 2019-02-19A National Bestseller Foreword by Mark Hyman, MD Preface by Andrew Huberman, PhD You know you should be meditating, so what's stopping you? This entertaining and enlightening book by the founder of Ziva Meditation--the favorite training for high achievers--will finally take meditation mainstream. In our high-stress, overworked lives, we think the answer to accomplishing more is to do more. But the best advantage we can give ourselves is to take a mental break--to spend a few minutes of the day giving the body and brain rest. Did you know that a brief meditation can offer rest that's five times deeper than sleep? When you make time to practice the Z Technique this book teaches, you'll actually be more productive than if you took an hour-and-a-half nap or had a cup of coffee. A leading expert in meditation for high performance, Emily Fletcher has taught meditation at numerous global corporations, including Google, Barclays Bank, and Viacom, to help their employees improve their focus and increase their productivity levels. With Stress Less, Accomplish More, anyone can get the benefits of her 15-minute twice-daily plan. Emily specifically developed the Z Technique for working people with busy lives. Now, you can learn to recharge anywhere, anytime--at home or at your desk. All you need is a few minutes and a chair (no apps, incense, or finger cymbals required). This is not just another meditation book. In Stress Less, Accomplish More, Emily teaches a powerful trifecta of Mindfulness, Meditation, and Manifesting to improve your personal and professional performance, clarity, health, and sleep. You'll learn how to cultivate Mindfulness through brief but powerful exercises that will help you stop wasting time stressing. Plus, you'll get Manifesting tools to help you get crystal clear on your personal and professional goals for the future. Filled with fascinating real-life transformations, interactive exercises, and practical knowledge, Stress Less, Accomplish More introduces you to a revelatory daily practice and shows you how to make it work for your modern life. "We meditate to get good at life, not to get good at meditation."--Emily Fletcher
- Contagious byCall Number: HF 5415.153 B463 2016ISBN: 9781451686586Publication Date: 2016-05-03The New York Times bestseller that explains why certain products and ideas become popular. “Jonah Berger knows more about what makes information ‘go viral’ than anyone in the world” (Daniel Gilbert, author of the bestseller Stumbling on Happiness). What makes things popular? If you said advertising, think again. People don’t listen to advertisements, they listen to their peers. But why do people talk about certain products and ideas more than others? Why are some stories and rumors more infectious? And what makes online content go viral? Wharton marketing professor Jonah Berger has spent the last decade answering these questions. He’s studied why New York Times articles make the paper’s own Most E-mailed list, why products get word of mouth, and how social influence shapes everything from the cars we buy to the clothes we wear to the names we give our children. In Contagious, Berger reveals the secret science behind word-of-mouth and social transmission. Discover how six basic principles drive all sorts of things to become contagious, from consumer products and policy initiatives to workplace rumors and YouTube videos. Learn how a luxury steakhouse found popularity through the lowly cheesesteak, why anti-drug commercials might have actually increased drug use, and why more than 200 million consumers shared a video about one of the most seemingly boring products there is: a blender. Contagious provides a set of specific, actionable techniques for helping information spread—for designing messages, advertisements, and content that people will share. Whether you’re a manager at a big company, a small business owner trying to boost awareness, a politician running for office, or a health official trying to get the word out, Contagious will show you how to make your product or idea catch on.
- The Resilience Toolkit byCall Number: BF 698.35.R47 G734 2018ISBN: 9781608685363Publication Date: 2018-10-02Whether it's a critical comment from the boss or a full-blown catastrophe, life continually dishes out challenges. Resilience is the learned capacity to cope with any level of adversity, from the small annoyances of daily life to the struggles and sorrows that break our hearts. Resilience is essential for surviving and thriving in a world full of troubles and tragedies, and it is completely trainable and recoverable -- when we know how. InResilience, Linda Graham offers clear guidance to help you develop somatic, emotional, relational, and reflective intelligence -- the skills you need to confidently and effectively cope with life's inevitable challenges and crises.
- Gmorning, Gnight! byCall Number: PS 3613.I753 A6 2018ISBN: 9781984854278Publication Date: 2018-10-16NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * From the creator and star of Hamilton, with beautiful illustrations by Jonny Sun, comes a book of affirmations to inspire readers at the beginning and end of each day. "When the world is bringing you down, Gmorning, Gnight! will remind you that you are awesome."--Booklist Good morning. Do NOT get stuck in the comments section of life today. Make, do, create the things. Let others tussle it out. Vamos! Before he inspired the world with Hamilton and was catapulted to international fame, Lin-Manuel Miranda was inspiring his Twitter followers with words of encouragement at the beginning and end of each day. He wrote these original sayings, aphorisms, and poetry for himself as much as for others. But as Miranda's audience grew, these messages took on a life on their own. Now Miranda has gathered the best of his daily greetings into a beautiful collection illustrated by acclaimed artist (and fellow Twitter favorite) Jonny Sun. Full of comfort and motivation, Gmorning, Gnight! is a touchstone for anyone who needs a quick lift.