Employment Opportunities: Academic IT & Library Positions
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai’s Levy Library is seeking dynamic candidates for its Reference and Instruction Librarian position. Reporting to the Manager of Information and Education Services, this position supports the reference and instruction needs of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai community. The ideal candidate for this role will be a customer-service oriented information professional knowledgeable about biomedical resources and reference management tools.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in Levy Library’s Ask-A-Librarian service answering reference questions from students, faculty, physicians, nurses, housestaff and others within the Mount Sinai community. (20%)
- Serve as Levy Library’s reference management expert, assisting users through training sessions and consultations. (20%)
- Hold one-on-one research consultations and lead instructional sessions for academic programs on an as-needed basis (20%)
- Manage Levy Library’s open class offerings, providing instruction to students, faculty and staff on effective use of library resources, citation management tools and a variety of topics pertaining to scholarly publishing. (15%)
- Maintain and enhance LibAnswers knowledgebase, LibGuides content, and digital learning content pertaining to areas of responsibility. (15%)
- Develop and maintain awareness of current trends and best practices in reference and instruction services, within and beyond the medical library community. (10%)
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program required, with 1-3 years of professional library experience
- Strong customer service orientation
- Proficient written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for teaching
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Familiarity with LibApps platform (LibGuides, LibAnswers, etc.)
- Experience with EndNote, Zotero and other reference management tools
- Experience using biomedical and interdisciplinary resources such as PubMed/MEDLINE, CINAHL, and Web of Science
- Familiarity with Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) practice model
- Experience providing library reference and instruction services in an academic and/or medical library setting
To Apply: Please email cover letter and curriculum vitae to Samantha.Walsh@mssm.edu.
About the Mount Sinai Health System
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is a national and international leader in biomedical education, research and patient care. The Medical School has been consistently ranked as a top 20 medical school in the US and is ranked #17 among U.S. medical schools for National Institutes of Health funding. The Graduate School comprises degree-granting programs in basic science, clinical research, public health, and genetic counseling. The Mount Sinai Health System is an integrated health system committed to providing distinguished care, conducting transformative research, and advancing biomedical education. More information is available on the web (http://icahn.mssm.edu/).